The American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science is the preeminent organization for clinical laboratory science practitioners. ASCLS provides dynamic leadership and vigorously promotes all aspects of clinical laboratory science practice, education, and management to ensure excellent, accessible, and cost-effective laboratory services for the consumers of health care.
There are countless benefits that you receive from being a member of ASCLS and ASCLS-MO. Some of the membership benefits are explained further below.
Membership Allows You To...
Your membership and participation will allow you many things. Here are some of the larger reasons that we have heard from our membership about why they joined and continue to be active in the profession.
- You can directly make an impact on the future of our profession.
- Have your voice heard on issues that affect your work life.
- Be seen, heard, known, or recognized as a critical team member and a knowledgeable member of a patient’s health care team.
- Continue growing and learning through access to personal development, professional development, and leadership building opportunities through offices, committees and scientific assemblies.
- Be some of the first to know of news regarding legislative issues and federal regulations affecting the laboratory.
- Scholarship opportunities for students and professionals at local, state, and national levels to help in your continuing education.
- Promote and support professionalism and necessary professional standards.
- Annual state conferences with exhibitors, continuing education sessions, networking opportunities, and social events for professionals and students.
- Get discounts on goods and services.
Enhance your professional knowledge through ASCLS’s unique P.A.C.E.® (Professional Acknowledgment for Continuing Education) programs, audio-conferences, workshops and online course offerings. P.A.C.E.® provides continuing education credits through hundreds of quality programs on topics of critical interest – programs reviewed for educational content, relevancy to the profession, qualification of faculty and structure. You can earn P.A.C.E.® credits for re-certification or to fulfill re-licensure requirements. ASCLS also offers FOCUS, a convenient, mail-in continuing education program published in our journal, Clinical Laboratory Science. Recognizing the importance of certification, ASCLS also endorses the National Certification Agency (NCA) in its certification or recertification processes and the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) in its accreditation efforts.
ASCLS Joint Annual Meeting (JAM) and Exposition
Described as “the premier continuing education event” in clinical laboratory science, the five-day ASCLS Annual Meeting and Exposition offers cutting-edge scientific and technical workshops and symposiums. Since 1995, when ASCLS first met concurrently with the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC), our members have been able to visit the industry’s largest exhibition hall to review the latest trends and technologies in laboratory testing. ASCLS members receive a substantial discount on fees for registration and exhibits at the Annual Meeting.
ASCLS members can choose from a range of discount services targeted especially for clinical laboratory professionals. Save on credit card, hotel room and car rental purchases. Participate in the ASCLS insurance programs and take advantage of group rates on health, professional liability, life, disability and automobile insurance. Brochures outlining these programs in greater detail can be obtained from ASCLS.
ASCLS members are kept informed through two publications. Clinical Laboratory Science is an award-winning, bi-monthly journal featuring articles on the very latest in research, education and government actions affecting the profession. ASCLS Today, our newsletter, is published 12 times a year and provides timely updates on association activities in the legislative, educational and membership arenas.
Governmental Affairs and Advocacy
As new laws and regulations bring momentous changes to clinical laboratory science, your ASCLS membership provides you with liaisons to Members of Congress, Federal and state agencies. Our government affairs team monitors and influences laws and regulations that affect the profession.